Wednesday, April 14, 2010

There Goes My Blog Cherry

As I struggle to begin my first ever blog entry, I feel like a 12-year-old girl earnestly writing her aspirations on the opening page of a new diary. I see her intently recorded dreams and fears, her bubble-like handwriting, full of hope and good intentions, announcing the beginning of something hugely important. The lockable cover is adorned with a cloying puppy motif, and every “i” dotted with a little heart.

Still, I can’t help myself. I need to kick off this blog with some explanation of why I'm doing it.

So here goes:

Dear Diary,

I’m super excited to be writing to you today. You know I’ve been an artist for a really long time, but now I’ve got some ideas I want to write about instead of making pictures of them. Like where I get my ideas from, and some other artists I like. I might also even write down what I think about when I’m making stuff (LOL!!)

My favorite kind of art to make is sketchbooks. They are my total BFF! I really love them and I’ve been making them on the reg for a very long time. I also do some other art, but mostly I make sketchbooks.

Some people think sketchbooks are just something you use to write down ideas while you’re doing some other real art, like paintings or sculptures. I think they’re wrong. You can use sketchbooks for all kinds of things and sometimes they are just as good as any big painting or sculpture.

BTW, sometimes people even want me to come and talk to them about the books I make and why I do it!! I really like to do that because usually the people are really nice and I usually learn something from them. They ask me all kinds of questions. I’ll write to you later about the kind of things they ask me.

I think that if I write about how I come up with my ideas and what I think about when I’m making my sketchbooks, then other people will want to make them, too. That would be great. I hope other people will have as much fun with it as I do.

Well, I have to go but I’ll write again soon!!

Love,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment